Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Growing Up


My little boy is growing up!  When did this happen?  He is almost as tall as I am now.  Thanks for indulging my little trip down memory lane, here, including, ug, some beauties with me in them (trying to "get in the picture!").  So glad I no longer own any scrunchies or garbage-bag-like maternity clothes.  I initially made a little slideshow, complete with a cheesy song, but it was way too long.  When I tried to show it to him, he kept asking when it was going to be over. :)  (The song I found to put on the slideshow makes me cry, its called You and Me by Frances England, you can listen to it on this video)

He has always been such a delight.  Such a happy, easy going kid, who loves to talk and tell jokes, read, and spend time together.   I couldn't ask for a nicer big brother to all his younger siblings.

Before I had kids, I always looked forward to parenthood with excitement and trepidation at the same time. What kind of parent would I be?  How would I feel about my child?  I worried that staying home with just one child might feel like a waste of time.  But looking back, the time I spent with this boy, and any of my kids for that matter, has been the best-spent time of all.  My favorite memories, even when on a particular day I had to leave dishes, time for myself, or something else waiting at home, are of these little people.  I will always treasure the time I had with each one of them--there has not even been one time spent together that I have thought of as a waste, even if it was less than ideal (some less than ideal times need a little space before realizing the good in them, right?).  There is a part of me that will always look back sentimentally and wish to hold my little boy again, or do something differently, but I will never regret the time I spent with him, and in some ways it makes the passage of time a little easier to take-- that I know I did my best to make the most of it.   Right from the start, I was so in love with this little boy, for good reasons.  He has changed my life in so many ways for the better.  The things people say about having kids, is true.   While there can be frustrating and exhausting and discouraging days, they get in your heart and you will never be the same.

(see here for something I wrote about how having him and parenting changed my life)


 We had a favorite park within walking distance of our house when we lived in England.  We went there often to play or explore the woods or have a picnic.

















These two have always had a special relationship, in spite of what would seem to be evidence to the contrary here.









 Cutest big brother ever.  But I'm biased.

Even though I will always feel such a fondness when I think about my little boy, I sure love that my arm fits comfortably around his shoulders, that he gets my jokes, plays with the little ones, and is such a pleasant, happy kid.  My life would definitely not be the same without him.  One of the best choices I have ever made.

Great, great kid.

How has parenting changed you?  In what ways is it different than you expected?  Better?  

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I missed so much of his little growing up years. What a treasure. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you all look like babies in these pictures! He is so adorable!! Always has been always will be - inside and out!!

    ReplyDelete