Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hold Your Little Ones a Little Longer

I am sorry for the silence on my end these days.  This has been the craziest summer I've had as a mom.  And there have been some unexpected twists and turns here and there.  Today was one of those.  I attended the kind of funeral you hope never to; it hit me full force as I watched a couple wheel out a tiny pine casket with yellow and blue flowers on its side.  My cousin's little eighteen month old daughter was killed in a tragic accident over the weekend.  I tell you, I just wasn't sure if I could do it.  I was starting to count the number of funerals I have been to that have involved family members over the last few years, and this makes number six.  I just couldn't bear the sadness, you know?  But then I decided that it would be better to show my support, and I was so glad I went.  Yes, it was so gut-wrenchingly sad!  So different from any other funeral I have been to.  I hope never to have to attend another one of its kind again.

So, hug your children a little tighter tonight, for me.  Drink in that beautiful little-one scent.  Play an extra five minutes, be a little more patient, offer a kind word.  Tragedy can strike any of us, at any time, no matter how vigilant we are.  These little ones are such gifts.  I don't want to take this day for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment